Monday, May 13, 2013

Welcome to Balanced Boulder Massage and Cupping's new blog!

Welcome, Boulder community,
to the new blog for Balanced Boulder Massage & Cupping!

Nina Dropcho, cupping, massage therapist in boulder colorado
Nina Dropcho, B.S., CMT, CPT
I'm Nina Dropcho, and my massage practice has landed in Boulder, Colorado! Please allow to share my background, the massage and cupping I use to treat a variety of health conditions, and the healthy lifestyle tips you will find in this blog.

Nina's education, training, and mentors
"College and fitness, Take 1, and ...Action!"
I received my 1st college degree, a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Psychology from Gardner-Webb University in North Carolina, in 1992. Gardner-Webb was a place of tremendous personal and spiritual growth for me, and it allowed me to bloom. I "out-grew" some of my unhealthy ways and became certified as a fitness instructor.
Over 20 years ago I started my journey of helping others achieve amazing health naturally!

When I moved out west, I continued to be both a counselor for abused kids and a fitness instructor. And then, shortly after moving to Colorado, while waiting for the right jobs to open up...I took a massage class..."just for fun".

Hooked on Massage!
I knew immediately that I needed to pursue massage as a profession. I took a Sports Massage class and Myofascial Release (MFR) trainings (because I COULD NOT WAIT to start massage school). 
In 2002, I completed my Massage Therapy program at Full Circle School for Alternative Therapies, in Edwards, CO, with a 4.0 GPA. Just a few months later, I passed the National Certification Exam for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (with high scores across all categories).

I continued teaching fitness classes and I started 1-on-1 personal training. I taught fitness classes for Colorado Mountain College for 10 years. I loved every class and every student along the way and made some friends for life!

Intro to Yoga and then... Time for Thai Massage!
I started to incorporate yoga into my life and into my classes, finding it helpful in relieving hip and knee pain I had started getting. Then I met Mukti (Micheal Buck) of the Vedic Conservatory.
Through his incredible mentorship, I learned Thai-Yoga Massage.
I have specialized in Thai Massage for almost 10 years. Unlike traditional Thai Massage that is done on a mat, I practice Table Thai. It's a blend of Thai stretches and compressions, Deep Tissue, and Swedish massage styles.

I am grateful to Mukti for his exceptional teaching over the years. The Vedic Conservatory style of Thai Massage is a healing offering that is artistic, graceful, and truly holistic in its approach to health.

Education in
Aspen, and meeting Dr. Bob-
I was able to attend sports medicine classes hosted by the Aspen Sports Medicine Foundation. I attended conferences and labs, participating in their knee and rotator cuff dissection labs 8 times.
I was fortunate to attend workshops by world-renown sports medicine expert, Dr. Bob Donatelli. Bob offers physical therapy at his clinic in Las Vegas, where he treats athletes from around the world. Of course, I had to go to Vegas and learn directly from Bob! With a visit to his clinic, witnessing Bob's work helping top athletes in their rehab and recovery, I was blown away. I brought back Bob's "best" exercises to my fitness classes, and (accidentally) I got huge relief for my own hip and knee problems!


Never stopping learning...
I had to continue my academic education. As I approached the age of 40, I decided to return to school and pursue a health sciences degree. However, my biology classes held a huge surprise for me...
I discovered that there are plenty of non-human species roaming this planet, and they deserve our attention, too!
In 2012, I finished my 2nd B.S., in Biology, from Metropolitan State University of Denver.

(Almost caught up to today...Getting there, I promise)

Studying the non-humans.
After several internships in genetics labs, including one on the CU medical campus, I now study the DNA of several vertebrate species and how genetic changes influence evolution. I currently work for the Zoology Department at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, part-time.

Finishing all those books and exams...
After 3+ loooong years back in school, I was pretty antsy to take another hands-on massage workshop. Learning cupping had been on my wish-list for about 7 years. Through the incredible teachings of Jason Miller and Mark Perido of the International Cupping Therapy Association, I became trained as a Cupping Therapist in spring 2013.

So thrilled by the results of cupping, I have set out to master the healing art of cupping. Upon completion of my first cupping workshop, I began my new cupping treatments. One month later, I completed the training again, as a Teaching Assistant.

Finally, we have arrived!
It's spring 2013. I now offer massage and cupping therapies in the Boulder area.
In the next few days (i.e., blog posts), I will share more with you about massage and cupping. I'll describe their amazing benefits and how they heal the body.
This blog is a reflection of my healing arts practice; all of my knowledge, techniques, and intuition will unfold to reveal a path toward greater health.
Jump on board and follow me along the journey!

Blessings of Amazing Health to you,
Nina Dropcho, B.S., CMT, CPT

No comments:

Post a Comment